Tuesday, May 28, 2019

STATES

This weekend was the last high school race of the season and the biggest, fastest race yet with it being the whole state of California racing. My usual Varsity field is about 25 people but at states, it doubles and this year it was 58. My family and I got up to Tehachapi on Saturday. We were invited  into a little RV compound with our friends the DeBruhl's and Gamberutti's. I helped set up camp, said hi to some friends and stretched out my legs from the drive. At around 11 Devin, Jonah Martinez,  my dad and I went out for our pre-ride. Right off the start, we ran into a large group of cows that we had to scare off the road, typical Tehachapi.  The course was the same as years past. It starts with a long fire road to a quick punchy climb some fast up and downs with some fun corners at the main climb of the course. This climb is usually easy, but add the winds of Tehachapi and it takes it to a whole new level of difficulty. The trail then leads into a few technical rock gardens that you have to watch your tires through, then into some quick single track on the side of a hill and you can look down into the venue. You head over to more rock gardens, then into a short climb, and then you do two passes through the valley right where the finish is. Then up to one steep climb, followed by a descent to the finish on the fire road to start/finish.  We did two laps and did the last section of the lap a few times to look for a quicker, straighter line over a patch of rocks as opposed to having to slow down for a corner. After that, we headed back to our trailers to get our recovery and relax for the rest of the day. We played some card games, talked with friends about Sunday, walked around and said hi to people that were coming in,  and watched a movie or two before dinner. Dinner was pasta as usual.  Gabbi, Devin, and my parents had some fun cracking jokes while dinner was being made. Around this time the rain was starting to come down and all the parents from our compound came into our trailer to eat and watch a movie. After it ended they began to slowly leave to get back to their own trailers or to hotels. With missing last weekends SoCal finals due to rain, and the storm again this night, it was a bummer to not hang out longer,  but I was able to get in bed a little earlier. The next morning it was pouring so the races were postponed an hour  (which made it a lot harder for our race) they also shortened the race by a lap (which I  was bummed at the time but ultimately happy with the storm that came at the end of our race). That morning everyone was rolling in while I was having my breakfast and we had 7 people on our couch watching the UCI race in front of our fireplace.  With the hour delay, we were going to start at 2:30 so we just had to lay around longer. This was a good thing considering that my derailer cable was fraying and Tony Gamberutti was able to get it all fixed before the race. He was my true savior. I started my warm up a little earlier than normal because it was so cold I wanted to make sure I was all warmed up. For the last 5-10 minutes, I rode around to see if my kit choice was good for the race, warm, protected but not overheated. I talked with my coach,  Jason Ranoa and a few other people on the way to staging. I was the 33rd rider into the start shoot.  It was a little farther back than what I am used to but with the course starting on the long fire road I wasn't too worried. I was surrounded by many of my friends from the Socal league and I was getting mentally into race mode. One of my friends Steve Barton aka"Big Steve" gave me a little shoulder and neck massage that made me laugh a little to help with the nerves. The count down started then we were off. The race started off very quick til we got to the first corner where it all kinda slowed down because no one wanted to pull into the headwind. Until the first climb, the top 8 or so took off and the rest of us were fighting up and down the first decent to the big climb of the course. A buddy of mine Aiden Chapin was right in front of me starting the main climb he was able to make clutch passes but I wasn't able to do the same and the group pulled away.  Meanwhile, a group of 5 formed with me and we were together for the rest of the race. When we started our second lap I got in front just working at my own pace until the climb where I pulled a little gap headed for the first descent. Since I know this area so well and had no one in front of me the group didn't catch me till the main climb on the course. One of the guys helped me in the front with the group behind us catching. For the rest of that lap, we were moving fast through everything. Then the third and final lap came around and again no one wanted to pull on the fire road so it was just a cat and mouse game and the group behind was starting to catch again. I fought to the front for the descent to help us pull away and as soon as we got into the open the rain and wind slapped me and almost pushed me off course. I was literally leaning off my bike to stay upright. Up to the climb, the wind went from a head to a tailwind on each switch back. Three kids passed me up the climb and I fought hard to try and catch them for the rest of the course. I tried to keep my lines as clean as I could so I didn't get a flat. I was able to be work with another rider to try and catch the group ahead of us but as we went through the first valley crossing and saw that we were no longer close enough I knew it was a race between me and him. Down the descent, to the crossing, my glasses got covered in mud from following him. At that moment I said to myself don't worry, get through this,  you can see enough and you know this place well enough to just keep going. So I pushed on and on the punchy climb I passed him and made sure I was first into the last single track sections. I took the straight line over the rocks, made the last left corner and crossed the line 19th. I am very proud of this result because it was a hard season with a lot of up and downs. I was able to accomplish some goals and learn from the ones I did not, but overall I worked hard and am proud of where I ended up and know what I need to work on for next season. We always finish our races with dinner with our cycling family, it's grown since we first started and I enjoy hanging out with all my friends and family after a long hard day.  Always a big thank you to my family,  girlfriend and friends who support me no matter what. Big thank you to Jason and SoCal Devo, Ellsworth, ESI, Tasco, Kenda, Ridefast Wheels,  Physiophyx, Rudy, Canari, Scicon, Gup and my coach Daniel Matheny.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment