Monday, February 4, 2019

SoCal Devo Boot Camp Weekend

Back to the grind starting the season with the SoCal Devo camp. I was very excited to see everyone after  three months off with a lot of ups and downs. It was awesome to see all the old faces and welcome other fast and fun kids to the team. We are all from different parts of SoCal, I took the prize for the farthest distance traveling about 100 miles and stuck in three hour of traffic on Friday evening getting to Coach Brians. Since my drive was so long I missed the welcoming and we were receiving our new sponsored gear for the year. We got geared up with new ESI grips, Rudy helmet and glasses, and Kenda tires for my cross country and enduro bike. The new members also received a Scicon travel bag, which is awesome to use for travel which keeps you organized for all races. Coaches garage was filled with all our Ellsworth bikes. After getting all of our stuff for the season I was finally able to say I to everyone, relax and play spoons, bs, and uno til the end of the night.
The next morning we all woke up had breakfast and got ready to head out to vail lake resort to ride.  As we were driving there we could see the dark clouds getting close and we all hoped that the rain would hold off. The first thing on the list was to do a T.T. up the Dam climb which every one was able to get to the top between nine and a half to twelve minutes. After we took our new team pictures. Then we went down Matco which is a fun decent. Then we did multiple laps of the boogaloo at all out speed up and down. After that we went to a climb rightly called, burning caves. From all the rain the past few days the climb was very tacky but had a large rut and that was messing everyone up. We stayed at the climb for a solid 15-20 minutes and only Coach Brian and Ethan could make it all the way up. While everyone was able to make it to the bottom or partially through the rut. After we finished there we went back to Coach Jason’s trailer and had lunch just as the rain began to come down hard. There was even a point that it was hailing for a few minutes. The coaches decided to head back to coach Brains and finish the day off with some power testing. I was in the first group for testing just to get it out of the way and relax for the rest of the day. When I finished I was all sweaty and nasty but I felt good and strong. Then when everyone finished the testing we had a little meeting then watched Supercross. After it was over everyone was beat and went straight to bed.
Day 2 and the last day of the weekend. We woke up, went straight to breakfast and pulled all the bikes into Coach Brians and my truck and headed out to a very well known climb called Los Gatos. It is an absolute monster, it’s about a mile long but has an average grade of 26%!!! We had to do it twice back to back! But we were all able to finish it in about the same times as the dam climb a day prior and I was actually able to improve my time the second time around because I knew the climb and I knew where to give one last big effort. Even though climbing it was very painful, to be able to go down a decent that has a 26% grade was so much fun! I was able to hit 59.8 MPH!! After we all finished there we headed to a pizza spot for lunch where we talked about where we were going to end the day with some fun riding. Because of all the rain we decided to go to X trials. I had a blast there it was my first time riding the trails and they were amazing. It was technical with a lot of switchbacks and an added degree of difficulty trying to dodge all the puddles on the trail. After we finished there we headed back to the house and I packed up for my 2 and a half hour drive home. The weekend was so much fun. I was so glad to be able to see everyone again and just have a fun time with everyone and making good memories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment