Sunday, March 10, 2019

US Cup Vail Lake 1

This race weekend was a quick one. I woke up on Saturday at 4:45a.m. to drive down to Temecula in the rain with my mom. Since we were so early we didn't hit any traffic but something crazy did happen right in front of us. On the 15 freeway a car spun out and crashed into the center divider and then spun into our lane. Thankfully, my mom was able to avoid it and keep us safe while chaos broke out.  It defiantly woke me up and kept me on my toes for the rest of the day. When my mom and I got to the race and it didn't look very good. The dirt was sloppy and it was still raining a little but I was still ready to race. We found out the race had been pushed back an hour so I had time to get ready and register. I was able to talk to an amazing person that I have known for the past few years, named Jeff Throop AKA Troop. We first meet several years ago when I lost my phone racing a Big Bear XC and he found it after the race when he was doing sweep. Over the years we have gotten really close. He's had a rough past few years.  First, around Christmas 2 years ago some dumb driver tried to pass someone on a one lane road and hit someone head on. Troop saw the whole thing as it happen. What he didn't see was the huge 5 ft tool box that flew out of the drivers car and landed right on his truck cab hitting him in the head. He was in the hospital for awhile having to learn how to walk again but was able to make a full recovery. Then last year he was on his motorcycle with Kyle Straight (his son-in-law) and he hit a tree head on. After this horrific crash he was back in the hospital. Thank God he is a true fighter and has been able to make a near full recovery. He is an amazing person and if you ever do a race put on by Big Bear racing look for him and just talk to him he is so down to earth and full of stories, he has been to hell and back multiple times. Back to the race though.  They had to adjust the course from all the rain so it was turned into a super short, sprinters course. I was racing Cat 1 17-18 and we were started with the Cat 1 15-16. I had a pretty good idea who my competition was. At the start it was super slippery so its was hard for everyone to start and mud was flying everywhere. Half way through our first lap the sun came out. The sun made me feel really good and I was happy that I didn't wear any heavy cold weather gear. The lap was up ambulance to tunnel of love, which is one of my favorite flowy down hills. Next we rode to the jump line climb, down to the steep switch backs at the main venue then down the little decent to the finish. The first lap I was in the top 12 of all the riders.  On the second lap I was passing one of my friends, Al Garza, he lives near me in SimiValley.  I called out my pass and he let me by, but someone that I was racing against tried to pass him with me without calling out and they hit bars and Al fell pretty hard. I turned my head to make sure he got up and kept on pushing when I saw my mom I told her what happened. She saw the whole thing and yelled to me, he's fine and to focus. The whole race I was pretty much by myself and kept pushing as hard as I could. I was able to finish in the top 10 of our whole group and 4th on the day in my category. With all the rain and having to get used to a new fit I got earlier that week I was happy with my performance.  I feel like I'm getting stronger after each race.  I just have to keep my head down and work harder. All of the this wouldn't be possible with out Ellsworth bikes, Esi grips, Physiophyx, Rudy Project, my parents, my So Cal Devo Team and of course my coach
Daniel Matheny
                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment