Monday, February 26, 2018

Lake Perris (High School Race Series #1)

First race of the High school season is in the books. The weekend began with my Dad and I rolling in to the Lake Perris campground on Friday night and we got our motorhome ready for the weekend. The following day, I pre-road with the Santa Clarita team with some friends I haven't seen since States. It was great to catch up and stretch the legs with old friends. After that I cleaned up my bike to make sure that it  was in top shape for the race Sunday. I relaxed in my motorhome for rest of the afternoon, keeping my legs up, staying out of the wind and hydrating. That evening I went down the Wray's and Conway's set-up to watch motocross and played a little bit of video games and this really helped to relax the nerves. That night I had a little trouble initially falling asleep but when I found the sweet spot I was like a bump on the log. I woke up a bit earlier then I wanted, 5:45, and took this time to relax and keep my mind empty.  Waiting till 1 in the afternoon to start my race rather then early in the morning was definitely a new thing for me and left a lot of idle time on my hands, too much time and not enough to do. I headed down to the pits at 11:30 and talked to Coach Jason and Heather Ranoa getting my bottle situation set up. I also hung out with my coach Brain Sanchez and was able to cheer on my fellow Devo teammates Hayley Richards, Alyssa and Hayley Barrick. I also visited with our sponsor, Roger, with Kenda Tires discussing my current set up for todays race.  Finally it was time for staging and it was a cool thing to hear my name as the first JV. A. call up, followed by  three of my close racing buddies. At the start of the race my nerves went away and I just wanted to get out and ride. With the first lap underway we started at a Saturday coffee ride pace. As soon as we made the first right turn of the climb Kyle Chromy and I took off from the pack and didn't look back till the top and saw that we had a lead. We stayed together for the remainder of the first lap. The second lap Kyle started to pull away as I kept a steady pace. Unfortunately, at the fun G-out for me, two racers fell so we had to walk through which caught me off guard but I was able to remain strong. On the third and final lap I hit a big group from JV C and I made sure to get into the decent first. I again had to walk through the G-out and almost got a cramp in the quad but was able to prevent my leg from seizing up and finished the race strong. I'm proud of my finish which was 2nd. I left it all out there gave it 100% and 10% more.
After the podiums I was also awarded with my Teen Trial Corps patches and Teen Trail Captain McCloud. I am very proud to be a part of this group showing that there is more to cycling then just riding.
I'm looking forward to our next race at Vail. This is one of my favorite venues.
I'd like to thank my sponsors. My Ellsworth Enlightment was flawless. The Kenda Honey Badger and Saber were a perfect choice for this course on my RideFasts that are always on point. My Ftech kit made for a comfortable ride and my custom Birdworx Boost 01 Rudy Helmet perfectly completed my outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment