Monday, March 12, 2018

Vail Lake (High School Socal #2)

This weekend was the second SoCal race of the year. The event is at Vail Lake, one of my favorite venues. I'm always curious to see how the course is going to be set up because the possibilities are endless. I was initially upset about where our camping spot was because my mom waited too late to get a spot and we were in the back 40, but we lucked out and were able to get a closer spot making the weekend start off right.  I pre-rode the course with my dad in the rain which was fun and a little slippery. After the pre-ride I rested, got warm and then continued my pre-race ritual by going over to the Conway and Wray set up to play some video games, and watch Motocross and movies. It was a great time sharing stories from past races and telling jokes to relieve pressure before the race the next day. Getting to bed at around 10:30 (this may or may not be with springing forward with the time change). Race morning I got up at the usual 6:30. The nerves were kicking in a bit now but I was able to keep them at bay by hanging with Tuner and Blake playing Xbox to stay as relaxed and clam before the afternoon. I started getting kitted up and getting in the mood with some music and my warm up. The skies were clear and temperature was perfect. I headed up to the starting shoot at around 1:10. This is where the nerves really kicked in, then I heard my name get called and the nerves turned into adrenaline. I heard Brenden call out the 10 count for the varsity and they went off, one group before me. The second 10 count for JV C, they went off,  then we were on the line. The adrenaline was rapidly pumping through my veins "10,9,8,7,6,5,..." make sure I'm in the right gear, turn on my Wahoo"...4,3,2,1..GO!" Kyle Chromy started at a flying pace I stuck onto his wheel till tunnel of love. I knew I could catch him on the descent but when I rounded a corner and saw that he went down with some JV C riders I was shocked.  I kept my composer and kept my pace. I lead through the rest of the descent till the next big climb where Kyle took off again. For the last 2 laps I worked with Aiden Chapin till the the second to last climb I was able to pull away from Aiden and make some time and maintain my little gap till the finish to get second place. Congrats to Kyle Chromy and Aiden Chapin on a good, clean, challenging and out right fun race. It's a privilege to ride with such talented riders who are also my friends.  Can't wait to see everyone at Keyesville for the next race.
Special thanks to my family and friends who are out on course cheering me on. Shout out to my amazing sponsors who keep my organized, looking good and riding fast, Socal Endurance, ASG Sports, Ellsworth Bikes, Ridefast Wheels, Kenda Tires, Rudy Project, Scicon Bags, ESI Grips,  Ryno Power, Gup Industries and Ftech.

No comments:

Post a Comment